Monday, March 31, 2008

Monday Musing: Blossoming Wonder

Having lived in DC for almost 14 months, I finally went to see the celebrated cherry blossoms. Here is the money shot. (The Jefferson Memorial is somewhere in the distance, but who cares when you have these pretty flowers to enjoy.)

Now while 14 months may seem long overdue, let me tell you about these blossoms. For all their fame, you'd think they'd blossom for more than say, a week?! Yes, this was my impression in spring of '07. Hence, I blinked and missed them entirely. While they have just reached full blossom, we have rainy and windy days forecast for the next several days. So, who knows how long they'll last?

Which is why everybody was getting out this past Sunday, even though it wasn't warm and sunny. I love how the trees just envelop you! And the transient nature of these blooms is also the reason we all take pictures to capture them. Cameras were flashing everywhere. This young lady used a more traditional medium. I "painted" her, painting the scenery.

And, in case you needed proof that I was actually there, here I am (with my sweetie, of course.)
Happy Spring!

1 comment:

Moya said...

They are beautiful. No blossom here yet. I wish it lasted longer too. I love the picture of you and Wood--you both look so happy and you look really beautiful.