Sunday, March 9, 2008

Food Glorious Food

This post has a one-track mind.

Yesterday, about 24 hours into my fast, on my way back from the Yes! Organic Market (per my last post), I caught a whiff of the strongest garlic aroma coming from one of the many restaurants along the 1800 block of Columbia Road. I kept walking and kept breathing it in for a good block. I wondered if my body was newly sensitized to such an amazing scent. This is the approximate location of its source:

As a practical matter, today I began to plan out my meals for the week. I even decided it was time to introduce my body to something other than my "master cleanse" lemonade, so as to not shock my system tomorrow, so I had a piece of fruit and a yogurt smoothie. As part of my menu planning, I rented a Zipcar and drove to Whole Foods with the grocery list I generated by reading "The Idiot's Guide to Detoxifying Your Body." Now, Whole Foods is usually kind of a treat, and today, I felt like a kid in a candy store. Everything looked good.

I decided I was going tell my penny-counting self not to worry about cost. For that matter, Whole Foods really isn't exorbitant for what you get. It was more the "start up costs" of eating healthfully, that I knew would add up. It wasn't so much the fruits and veggies (although I did buy a yam that cost me *gulp* almost $5), but the miso, the tahini, and the flaxseed. Yeah, I'm just beginning to figure out how to use these things, but I tried to go forth with cooking confidence! This, I'm sure is laughable to friends of mine, like my dear friend Kristen who having given up hope on my ability to make multi-course meals, bought me a cookbook on appetizers a few years ago.

Anyway, I got out of there with a fair amount of stuff and not too outrageous a grocery bill ($61). Add to that the Zipcar ($9 for the hour, plus a late fee of $50 since I wasn't allowed to extend my reservation) Ouch. Ok, I wasn't planning on this grocery trip costing me a RT ticket to NYC, but oh well. It was a stupid expense on my part. Like getting a parking ticket or backing into something. Next time I'm taking the Metro or I'll just walk to my local organic market.

No comments: