Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Cleansing Trinity

Almost 24 hours into my cleanse, I'm feeling pretty good. Whenever I feel a little tinge of hunger, I drink more of this concoction. How the hell else am I going to drink the 120 oz. or so of this stuff a day! (That's a lot of liquid, mostly water, which is good since it's important to stay hydrated.) It's actually a pretty flavorful drink I would consider drinking regularly. The maple syrup sweetens it (and gives you the caloric intake so you don't pass out) and the cayenne stimulates your system. (I definitely feel pretty warm and mildly energetic.)

For someone like me, this routine is forcing me to sit still and keep things simple. It's a little like being sick, except not. For those of you who know me, you'll be glad to know that my idea of productivity this weekend involves taking showers and trips to the organic grocery down the street.

This "lemonade detox" has apparently been around for 30+ years, and Beyonce used it to lose 20 pounds before filming Dreamgirls. I'm pretty sure that my yoga instructor, who made me aware of this detox, wasn't doing it because of B.

However, weight loss isn't my goal here, although I will gladly accept it. In my 30-something years, I'm pretty sure I've built up a fair amount of "toxic junk" in my system from stress, less than pure eating habits, breathing in imperfect air, and drinking and bathing in imperfect water. My body has withstood a lot, and I'm beginning to feel it more and more in my joints, digestive system, energy level, and see it in my skin, hair, etc. I do yoga, dance, lift weights, and walk everywhere. I eat reasonably well. I don't eat a ton of processed food and refined sugars or caffeine. I try to buy organic. I could probably increase my fruit and veggie and fish intake, but all in all, I live a healthful life. Still, I feel like I could feel better.

Hence...the cleanse which I think I'll do for a few days before integrating other juices and smoothies back into my routine. Since Wood and I have our anniversary date at a fave restaurant,
Red Ginger (Caribbean), I'll need to get back on the solid food wagon before then so as not to shock my system. It's not exactly lightweight fare. I'm sure it will be more delicious than ever.

No comments: