Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday: Morcheeba Madness

I was going to see Morcheeba tonight, a band whose album Big Calm I just la-la-loved in 1998. While preparing for my big calm night out, $60+ in tickets in hand, I discovered that Morcheeba dismissed the lead singer Skye Edwards in 2003, replacing her with some hippie dippy sounding singer. Anyway, the fact that the band has the same name but not even roughly the same sound is highly deceiving. Just like the 10,000 Maniacs trying to pass themselves off as the same band sans Natalie Merchant. Or INXS after the death of Michael Hutchence. At least Van Halen was honest about replacing David Lee Roth with Sammy Hagar.

So, Wood and I walked to the 9:30 club. Thankfully the show was sold out, so it took us less than a minute to sell my tickets and make an $8 profit. Of course, I said to the guy buying my tickets, "you know the lead singer is not the lead singer they had a few years ago."

"Yeah, I'll give you $40 for one ticket."

"Alright."

Another guy standing right next to him was surprised at the news. "Really?"

Guess I'm not the only one.

Here's what should have been happening at the 9:30 club.



No comments: