Monday, March 10, 2008

Darci, Cover Girl Darci!


I can't remember what Wood and I were watching the other day, but Kelly Rippa was on TV and he released an audible "ick." I said, I guess you're not into the blonde, tan, blue-eyed, busty type? He didn't respond, but it was affirming to a girl like me who grew up in California during Malibu Barbie's hey day.

My mom, in her great wisdom, never bought me a Barbie, as she never wanted me to feel I wasn't as good as the pretty blonde dolls. (The closest I got was "Growing Up Skipper" which she probably rationalized had educational value.) Instead, I got "Darcie" who was actually a prettier doll than Barbie (and she had great silver sandals!) and came with blonde, red or brown hair. I had a redhead and a brunette. And interestingly enough, I have been both a redhead and a brunette! Of course, this was the 70's and, like Barbie, Darcie had multicultural friends, but they were always a supporting cast of characters. Well, let's hope there's been some progress....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have barbies either! It must have been the trend with "thoughtful" moms back then....