Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tuesday Timewarp: Grrrl Power, Part Deux

Happy Birthday on Earth Day to one of my very favorite earth mother/Taureans. My dear friend Beth and I haven't been quite as regular in our communication over the past several years, but fortunately, she's one of those close friends with whom you can pick up where you left off as if a day hasn't passed. That's the true test of enduring friendship.

Case in point. She visited DC last July. And the first thing we did together? Yoga. She kicked my ass, by the way. She, who had been traveling and should have been considerably stiffer than me, kicked my ass. Beth was a dancer long ago and has a dancer's flexibility you see. I, on the other hand, work intensely for every pose. Then we went for sushi and to, well, pick up where we left off. It was short and sweet.

Beth amazes me with how totally f*ing cool she is, yet she is a major geek with a charmingly neurotic personality. I think both are reasons we get each other. She's tattooed. She entered college at 16. She was an erotic dancer in San Fran in the early 90s. She is an L.C.S.W. She plays bass guitar. And she knits. I still wear the scarf she gave me a couple of years ago. In fact, she has sent me a birthday and/or Christmas present (usually a few months late) for many, many years. She let me sleep on her couch when I broke up with my live-in boyfriend. She'll travel to New Orleans or to Eastern Europe with you at the drop of a hat. She and I (and a couple of other amazing women) founded a radio show called Girlie Magazine. She's classic riot girl. And she rocks!

So here's another riot girl tribute:



No comments: