Sunday, April 13, 2008

Saturday/Sunday Scenarios: States, Scientology and Suburbs

Notes from this weekend.

On Friday, my galpal Jessica and I had dinner at a great little Peruvian joint Inti. Half-way through our shared flan, I realized it had become a miniature custard version of the United States (including Hawaii!)

Saturday, on our way through Dupont Circle, Wood and I encountered a lively anti-Scientology protest. As you might guess, taking place in front of the Church of Scientology at 20th and R St.

Sunday, Wood and I went on a field trip to the end of the Orange Line in Vienna to meet up with his pal James to look at bikes at REI and have a hearty burger at Five Guys. James rather innocently described the area as having "everything you need" since the new construction everywhere you looked had a Safeway and Blockbuster and a Romano's Macaroni Grill within a stone's throw. Throughout the day, Wood and I had been contemplating our possible future home base and decided it definitely was NOT going to be in Fairfax County. I'm thankful every day that my sweet and amazing boyfriend have the same sensibilities and aversions in this regard.

Upon returning to "the District," we were approached at a bus stop by a woman who asked us, "What do you think about the European colonization's effect on the African mind?" We discussed it with her as well as a native Chinese guy who was in town on vacation where he lives (San Francisco). As odd as it was, we decided the daily assault was preferable over the slow death of the strip mall.