Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Timewarp Tuesday: First in Line

When I was in college, I was a HUGE fan of the Cocteau Twins. My older brother introduced me to their album Treasure, and it stuck. I especially liked listening to Cocteau Twins when I flew. Something about this music and clouds goes together.



My senior year, Cocteau Twins toured the U.S., a rarity for this UK-based studio band. They played at Tulane, and the day the tickets went on sale, I sat in the hallway of the student union building for at least an hour to make sure that I got the best seats in the house.

I dragged my good friend Nadia to the show at McAlister Auditorium, even though she hadn't even heard of the band. My boyfriend at the time made fun of the Cocteau Twins because you can barely make out their lyrics, so I wasn't about to invite him.

The show was alright, considering that the band consisted of Elizabeth Fraser (vocals) and Robin Guthrie (guitar) and some computerized machine that seemed to fill in a lot of other sounds. If it weren't for her otherworldly voice, it might have been a bore.

No comments: