Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Timewarp Tuesday: Grrrl Power

I picked up my guitar for the first time in a long time today. I had been listening to this Salt Lake indie-rock band Lovesucker on my iPod, and it brought back vivid memories of my years playing in the hole in the wall venues like the defunct Spanky's, and The Zephyr and Burt's Tiki Lounge, Urban Lounge, and Liquid Joe's in the late 90's. My bands (Echo 7 and then Sugarpants) often shared a bill with bands like Lovesucker, Fistfull and Fumamos. The common element between the three of them, besides being loud and rockin', was that they had really powerful women in them. (My band seemed to be the exception with my being the only grrrl.)

It reminded me that the 90's were quite the era for grrrls getting loud. Here's one band I really enjoyed seeing play live (once in Madison, Wisconsin and once in SLC): Babes in Toyland from Minneapolis.



That Kat Bjelland! Now she can SCREAM!!!! And I love Lori Barbero on the sticks.

And if Kat reminds you of anyone, it's because she used to play with Courtney Love, although in Kat claims that Courtney ripped off her signature "kinderwhore" (that's what she called it) look. Courtney says Kat copied her look. Who do YOU believe?

3 comments:

Liz said...

love your blog, jenny. look forward to reading it always. would love a vid of u with sugarpants.

JennyTinDC said...

If only people thought to film bands like ours back in the day! I'm afraid we Gen Xer's must rely on reenactments unlike our Millenial counterparts.

Anonymous said...

No way! What's her name (widow) was not first. And besides she sold out to Hollywood!