Thursday, February 7, 2008

Report from the Center of the Free World

I live a couple blocks from the Washington Hilton, where Reagan was shot in 1981. The above pic reveals a scene that rarely phases Washingtonians. Police cars everywhere---take a look, every car is a cop car---around the Washington Hilt---no, up and down Connecticut Ave and down every side street. I'm not even counting the numerous black unmarked vehicles with guys in trenchcoats sitting in them. And because you're asking the question in your head, no, I don't know why they were there. Something or someone important... like especially important because this is DC where everyone is important. That is, except for the poor people and those of us who can't vote.

So, on the living in the center of the free world tip... on the elevator down to the Metro today some grumpy, middle-aged white guy, a species rampant in DC... says to me, "I heard Hilary or Obama or someone is meeting somewhere along the Red Line [the line that serves Northwest DC], like it's not hard enough to get home! Hmmph."

I think to myself. "Sorry, dude (I'm from Cali, so I say "dude.") Must suck to live in the center of the free world." Why do these people live here? Move to someplace like Oklahoma if can't handle the action.

I use a lot of italics in DC because these people are seriously passive agressive. Dude!

1 comment:

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

But, in Oklahoma, (where I live) he'd have to worry about tornadoes, floods, ice storms and record high heat.